Today I am thankful ahead of time for Thanksgiving. It’s somewhat of a circular thought, but the very idea of a day for giving thanks puts the feeling of thankfulness at the ready. It primes me for gratitude.
Along those lines, I am living in advance the goodness that the day of Thanksgiving brings. I look forward to – and so live them twice – these delights of that annual late November Thursday gathering:
- The savory aroma of turkey wafting through the house
- My table set for company – candles, cloth napkins, the works
- Appetizers – those salty savory sweet nibbly bits before the actual feast, to get the taste buds geared up
- The fluffy deep orange of butternut squash with a pat of butter melting down in
- The walk after the meal, brisk air waking my too warm face
- Pie! (pumpkin if you please, apple would do too)
- Leftover dark meat with a side of stuffing
- Some cheesy movie that is appropriate for all ages, bodies collapsed across furniture in tryptophan induced stupors
- A lingering sense of gentle goodness
What about this holiday do you anticipate with gratefulness?